Thursday, December 1, 2011

Disappointment

When people disappoint us it is painful but it is also a way for God to show us that He alone is God. Through disappointments we realize people are people just like us--we have our strengths and we have weaknesses. We learn that we can’t do everything and we can’t be everything to everybody.
 
Disappointment comes when we have an unrealistic expectation of another person. Based on what people say or do, we unwittingly assume they will always be reliable, always available, always resourceful, always, always, always. But, at the weakest or most vulnerable point in our life, we might experience the reality of disappointment. This leads to feelings of rejection, betrayal or abandonment that causes hurt, pain and disappointment. God expects us to expect Him to be God. He doesn’t want us to expect people to be everything His word says that He is. I think what people do to us is a test to see if we bear or yield the fruit of the Spirit.
 
If you are disappointed, I know exactly how you feel because I have been abused, rejected, betrayed and abandoned. I have had to go through trials and tribulations while on the path to getting healed from the last trial and tribulation. Of all the friends, associates and acquaintances in my life, none of them can compete with what God has done for me. He has delivered and healed me of so many things, so many times. Most of the time, I had no one to talk to, confide in, or get help from. Because of that, I sought God who was the only one who had answers. I could not find my joy in people, places or things. Once in a while someone would pray for me if I asked. But I learned to cry out to God in my distresses. At times it seemed like it took Him forever, but it didn’t when He answered my prayers and healed me from depression and agoraphobia. It is so wonderful that the side-effect of His healing anointing is more love for Him.
 
That is why I thank Him passionately everyday. I try to tell everyone I know to do the same because He is an unfailing Lord and God.  That doesn’t mean I don’t have troubles. Yes, I do even now. But I know the one in whom I live, move and have my very being. I can trust, rely on, call upon and be heard from the Lord my God. He makes me over each and everyday because I want to let Him. He helps me love those that He uses to make be a better and more anointed person so I can be His instrument of help to others.
 
Don’t hate the person(s) who disappointed you. Sometimes God will use people to see if you will turn and cast your cares on Him. I have friends who I call friends because that is what I am or try to be to them. We may have gone through many things together, yet some I can not confide in. I am a sounding board for most of them, yet the very same don’t care to hear about my pain, joy, disappointments or achievements. But that’s OK because we have to ask God to show us the purpose for each and every person we engage with. He will allow us to see and experience the strengths, weaknesses, capabilities and limitations of each one. We are not to despise them for what they are not. Just rejoice over what they bring to the table to bless, nurture, test and even try us. Remember, most people test the fruit of the Spirit in us. How is your love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance?
 
God observes how we respond to every relationship. But most importantly, He wants to be everything we want and need. His word says that He opens His hand to satisfy every living creature. We are His precious creation, so He will not fail nor cause us to lack any good and beneficial thing. Spend time praising or learning how to praise the Lord. When you do so, your mind can’t think negative thoughts and rejoice at the same time.
 
If you feel disappointed or discouraged, don’t feel bad because you ask for help. And don’t let the devil make you upset about a person who is just being who they are--limited. One thing is for sure, they are not God. They didn’t lie if they said they can’t fix you or your problems. Praise the Lord because their fix might send you to hell. No one knows how to fix you and your circumstances like God can. If you have been seeking the Lord as your helper, you may not realize it, but you are on the pathway of healing and deliverance. Nobody’s mad but the devil. How about that? Praise the Lord, Hallelujah!!
 
"Christine's Short-Shorts"
(To be released late December 2011)
Areli MediaWorks 2011
 
 

No comments: