Friday, January 31, 2014

Some Mountains

No one is exempt from challenges. When we are confronted with circumstances that hinder progress or success in life, health and well-being, those challenges are often referred to as mountains. Many obstacles may appear unsurmountable and cause us to fear and/or resign to hopelessness. But we can take comfort in Mark 11:23 that says, "For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith."

I have experienced favorable results many times by declaring this scripture over my life. But there have been instances where I wondered about the mountains that didn't move. Proverbs 3:6 says "In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

When you seek God's direction, you will find there are some mountains that have to be climbed. These are challenges you must endure. For instance, you may have to learn new tasks to keep your job. Or if you become ill, you have to treat your body differently, and experience therapies to achieve physical and emotional healing and wholeness. As you learn how to navigate, ascend and descend this mountain it becomes a testimony to share with or help another person. 2Corinthians 12:9 -- "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

God might tell you to go around some mountains. A company I worked for in the early 70s had job openings in a technical classification. I was a secretary and the new jobs preferred applicants with education or skills and experience in the technical field. I really wanted to do something new and increase my income but was told I wasn't even qualified to apply. So I enrolled in a technical school taking a certificate course in the evenings in basic electronics. I was the only female in the class and I was often challenged by the course, instructor and classmates, but that didn't deter me. Upon completion, I added my certificate to the job application. A few weeks later, I was promoted and worked as a technician for many years with that company. Isaiah 30:21-- "And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left."

There are some mountains that demand that you turn around and go the opposite direction. God and experience with trying to traverse this mountain will show you that trying to align yourself with some people, places, events, and associations will lead to ungodly soul-ties, toxic relationships, violence, addictions even sin and death. Psalm 18:17 -- "He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me."

Some mountains are not yours, meaning they are not your assignment. These mountains may be far beyond your spiritual maturity and you are not to challenge or contend with them. Be still, cover yourself with prayer, praise and worship the Lord and watch what He will do. 2Chronicles 20:15--"And he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's."
Titus 3:9 --"But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain."

As long as we prayerfully consider the challenges, the mountains that beset us, God will give us an answer for what we must do about them. James 1:5 --"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

1John 5:14-15--"And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him."

No comments: