Monday, January 21, 2013

Understanding Joy

One day I decided to take a drive to a nearby park on my lunch break. The privacy of my car gave me the liberty to cry to my heart’s content, purging every possible tear. Afterwards, I adjusted myself and headed back to work. En route, I started talking to God. I told Him I know He had joy unspeakable and full of glory. Then I yelled out loud, “God if you have joy, then show me what it looks like and give it to me today! Then I added … “Please?”

Just as I made my request I had to stop for the red light at an intersection. As I waited, there was a woman and a little girl standing on the corner and when the “Walk” signal flashed for them to cross, the woman grabbed the little girl’s hand. As they stepped off the curb and entered into the crosswalk, the little girl started skipping. She had a great big smile on her face and her ponytail bounced and swayed as she skipped. She kept pace with the woman until they reached the opposite corner. They started walking in the direction I was driving, and the woman let go of the little girl’s hand but she continued to skip with joy and abandon. The scene grabbed my heart and I burst into tears. I witnessed the Lord’s response to my request.

When I got to the parking lot at work, there was still a little time left for my break. So I stayed in the car and praised the Lord. He ministered to me about what I had seen. The woman was just like God. He takes us by the hand to lead, guide and direct our path. He grips us firmly in the places where our walk with Him may present danger, obstacles or challenges although we have the right of way. But we can be like a child and skip with joy. We can abandon our hearts to His care and safety, even when our hand is not in His. It is all about keeping our faith, trust and confidence in Him.

Matthew 18:3—...Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Excerpted from the short story "Understanding Joy"
from the book "Christine's Short-Shorts"
(Free eBook for a limited time)

Christine Brooks Martin
"Pray What God Says"
"Talk to God with Affirmations of Faith"
"Christine's Short-Shorts"

Areli MediaWorks | 2013

No comments: